Sunday, November 3, 2013

Virtual Book Club: See You At Harry's

Last week my little book club had the chance to do something really big. We participated in a virtual book club chat with other middle schools and the author of See You at Harry's, Jo Knowles. All of the middle schools and the author's home state of Vermont are on this map. This was so much fun for me and my students.





View Middle School Virtual Book Club in a larger map


Tiffany Whitehead put together this Padlet so that our students could discuss the book. 





We started our meeting off with ice cream, of course, and Padlet discussion questions. We also made a list of potential questions to ask Jo Knowles. Then it was time for our Google Hangout to begin.

I was very nervous that our network would block the chat, but I tested it twice a few days before and everything  went well.

Jo Knowles was so gracious and sweet. I loved hearing about the experiences in her life that inspired the story. She ended the chat with excellent advice for our students to read as much as they could and never give up because it took her ten years to publish her first novel. 

Our next book is The Wig in the Window, one of my favorites this year. We have a few more chats planned so that our students can discuss the book before our author chat in January. My group will be all sixth grade girls so I anticipate lots of giggling and fun. 


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Thank you for having me! I had a lot of fun. The kids were amazing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page. check this site

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a piece of content you have written! I am amazed to know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete