Friday, February 16, 2018

YABA Voting for 2018

Since this is my first year here I wasn't sure what to expect for SC Association of School Librarian YABA (Young Adult Book Award) voting. Schools all over the state have their students vote for their favorite Picture book, Children's Book, Junior Book or Young Adult book. These books consistently stay checked out, especially after I booktalk them.
I connected with our county election board and they brought in voting machines for student voting and SC Voter Registration application for our older students. I didn't have as many voters as I would have liked so I'm going to try to do more promotion next year and possibly spread the voting out over a few days in the classrooms. There was a tie for the book with the most votes: Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin and Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I look forward to finding out the state winner at conference next month.


I was very proud of the students that registered to vote or took home applications. I believe it is so important for our young people to be politically aware and involved. A big thanks to the Anderson County Elections Board for their help. Below are the signs I created for the table and shared with all of our Government teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment